An internship is neither work shadowing nor simply work experience. It is the opportunity to work for an employer for a fixed period of time and will provide the chance to do real work and contribute to a real team.
Why do an internship?
- Gain valuable hands-on experience of work in a real situation
- See if an area of work matches your skills, interests and aspirations
- Meet new people and expand your network of contacts
- Develop new skills and competencies
- Increase your understanding of how an organisation operates
- Understand how what you are studying applies to the world of work
- Become more confident
- Improve your CV, your employability and your future life chances
“As an employer, why wouldn’t you want to showcase your business? Every employer will need to find new employees at some point, and you want to be able to attract the best people to the role. The internships give you the chance to demonstrate the opportunities you have to offer and the interns can speak to staff about how they got the skills and experience they needed.”
“Students taking part in Career Ready aren’t just here for a work placement, they have to reflect on their experiences and they are given feedback from managers, so they’re aware of the skills they’ve developed. ”
“If you’re an employer considering apprentices or younger members of staff, you get to see the level of ability out there, and interns get to see what careers are available to them and what they’re like in real life – both sides get to see the reality”
Danielle Houston, Learning and Development Co-ordinator, Plymouth Community Homes